Bay and Bow windows are striking, and also strikingly similar. Both window installations project outward and feature multiple windows. If you are thinking it might be time to add one of these beautiful installations to your home, here are the pros and cons to consider to help you make the right decision.
These window units are comprised of three windows arranged as a single system that projects outward. The center window is generally much larger than the other two flanking windows. All three can be picture windows. Most often, though, the center window is a large picture window and the side windows are operable, either casement windows Oak Park, CA or double hung windows. The angular arrangement of these windows works well for more modern homes.
These are made up of four to six windows arranged in a gentle, protruding arch shape. Like the bay window, these add more cubic feet to a room and make it feel larger. The elegant curve of these windows works best for Victorian style architecture. This type of installation is unique because it can wrap around building corners and turrets, giving you a wide view out of both sides of your home.
Why Choose Vinyl?
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is a construction level material with multiple purposes. Because it is a polymer, different additives combine to make each material unique. Most vinyl used for windows contains organic tin and titanium dioxide, along with other fillers, plasticizers, and pigments. These “ingredients” improve strength, energy efficiency, and prevent warping and fading. These are important features to have in Agoura Hills, CA.
Pros of Bay/Bow Windows
Here are the advantages of these vinyl windows:
- Expansive view. Most people choose to install these windows to make a room feel larger and open up a beautiful view. These unique window units can easily provide both.
- Natural light. Along with a greater view, you also get the advantage of more natural light to brighten up the space. Light can enter from several directions. As such, you want to make sure to choose energy efficient windows with the right glass coatings. Otherwise, these spaces will heat up fast in Agoura Hills, CA. This is why an energy efficient material, like vinyl, is so advantageous.
- Added space. These literally add square footage to the inside of your home. It doesn’t just look bigger, it IS bigger. With the added space you can add a reading nook, a window seat, or even extra storage space to your room.
- Increased value. These installations have a high return on your investment. They boost curb appeal and will certainly catch the attention of prospective buyers.
- Ventilation. This isn’t true if you decide to use picture windows. But any other window styles you choose will increase ventilation and allow for air to enter the home, no matter which way the wind is blowing.
Cons of Bay/Bow Windows
Here are the disadvantages of these vinyl windows:
- Hard to dress. Hanging curtain rods and drapes on bay and bow windows gets tricky. There often isn’t enough space to accommodate the hardware. So what are the alternatives? You might consider indoor plantation shutters installed inside the window frame. This will give you unmatched elegance, but also means you obstruct that amazing view and take up some of the added space your windows provide. The best option is usually Roman shades. These sleek window coverings fit inside the frame and easily roll up and out of sight.
- Difficult to clean. This depends largely on the types of windows you choose for your installation. Because most feature picture windows, you will have to go outside to clean the exterior glass. However, if you choose double-hung windows, the glass will tilt inward for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Compromised structure. You absolutely want your new bay or bow window installed by a professional. If not these windows can develop structural problems. These windows units are heavy and must have proper support. Installers need to be sure the foundation will not settle once windows are installed. They also must use load bearing windows where necessary.
- Cost. Because these units feature multiple windows and are a bit more complicated to install, bay and bow vinyl windows are more expensive.
Want to know more about our bay/bow windows? Come and check then out! Call Quality Windows today at 805-564-7600 or come visit us, 534 N Milpas St., Santa Barbara, California 93103.