Looking for new or replacement windows in Santa Barbara, CA? Not all windows are the same. You have so many styles to choose from and finding the right one will affect the overall look and feel of your home, both inside and out. And it isn’t just a superficial choice. Different vinyl window styles provide different functions as well. That is why choosing the right one is so important. Two popular options in the area are horizontal sliders or single and double-hung vinyl windows.
Features of Horizontal Sliders
Also called sliding windows, these slides open horizontally along a track. Typically these vinyl windows are twice the size of single and double-hung and may feature muntins (gridlines that give the appearance of a divided pane without sacrificing efficiency). You can also choose to make one or both panes operable. These windows are a good choice if the width of the opening is larger than the height.
Benefits of Horizontal Sliders
Here are the advantages you get with these vinyl windows:
- Better efficiency. These windows do not have a lot of moving parts and are easy to operate. As such, the horizontal sliders tend to have higher energy efficiency ratings than double hung windows. The tight seal will keep extreme heat out, which is great for areas like Santa Barbara, CA.
- Easy cleaning and maintenance. If both sashes are operable, these windows are easy to clean. With the window open you can reach the outer surface to clean. And the vinyl material will not fade, chip, or scratch. So you do not have to worry about sanding and refinishing the surface as you do with wooden window frames.
- Larger view. These windows are larger and wider than single and double-hung windows. As such, you get a more expansive view, allowing in the most natural light. These windows also open wider, for more ventilation.
Features of Single and Double-Hung
These windows operate by sliding vertically. A single-hung window has a fixed upper sash and a double-hung as two operable sashes. These windows can come with our without muntins, depending on the style you prefer.
Benefits of Single and Double-Hung
These are the advantages of these vinyl windows:
- Great ventilation. Because both sashes open on double-hung windows you have the option of opening the top and bottom for improved ventilation. The warm air escapes out the top while the cool air comes in through the bottom, naturally cooling the air in your home.
- More versatility. You can pair single and double-hung windows with other styles to create a unique window display in your home. You can use them for an intriguing bay window, or on either side of a picture window. You can even choose to have a whole wall of windows in a row to maximize your view.
- Improved safety for kid’s rooms. Double-hung windows allow for the option of locking the bottom sash and opening just the top. Then you can allow fresh air inside, but also not risk your child falling out the open window.
- Air conditioner friendly. Horizontal sliders are not efficient for window anchored air conditioners. Single-hung windows are great, but double-hung windows are ideal for this type of unit.
- Easy cleaning and maintenance. Double-hung windows win out for vinyl windows Santa Barbara, CA that are the easiest to clean. The design allows you to tilt both sashes in so you can clean the inside and outside surface without ever stepping outside. On the other hand, single hung vinyl windows are the most difficult to clean because the top sash does not tilt in.
Want to come in and compare these vinyl windows for yourself? Call Quality Windows at 805-564-7600 or stop by our showroom, 534 N Milpas St., Santa Barbara, CA 93103.